* I think it will be a mistake to overly anticipate The Dark Knight Rises. Believe me when I say I cannot wait either, but to expect it to match The Dark Knight is a set up for disappointment. Think Batman Begins when you go to see it; you might be pleasantly surprised that way. Because there is no way it will match the intensity and near perfection of The Dark Knight.
* Even though I am amped up to see Captain America, I am suffering from a little Superhero Movie Fatigue Syndrome (SMFS) right now. There are just too many at once. What’s wrong with releasing a superhero flick around the holidays?
* Colin Farrell is pretty underappreciated as an actor. He has quite a bit of range in my opinion. Sure, he makes that face all the time… you know the one with the eyebrows… but he can transition between comedy and drama and action and, as evidenced next month in Fright Night, horror seamlessly.
* The career trajectory of Val Kilmer is a little depressing. He is so much better than Direct to Video garbage. The Salton Sea is a small masterpiece.
* Oh, that Zookeeper movie came out today… I thought it had already come and gone.
* Clint Eastwood is working on J. Edgar right now with Leo Dicaprio. I feel like Eastwood has been wobbly a bit lately. Hereafter was a misfire for sure. Gran Torino was passable, but not great, and great is the standard he is held to now. We will see how he does with this historical drama.
* I miss animatronics and puppets as special effects sometimes. I thought about this after catching a part of E.T. last night. There is something very genuine about effects you can see versus green screens. I feel it helps the actors as well.