* Here is our first look at Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln in Spielberg’s upcoming historical biopic of the sixteenth president. Apparently he is having some pasta or something on a break?
* Daniel Day Lewis is fascinating in his physical appearance. He is distinctively tall and lanky and recognizable, but can disappear into a role. And his features are perfect for a nineteenth century brute. He has that chiseled bone structure and worn façade that fits a Bill the Butcher or Daniel Plainview or Abraham Lincoln perfectly. He looks like he could have lived in a log cabin I suppose.
* Liam Neeson was originally rumored to be Lincoln. I originally thought Neeson had to be involved to make this film work because nobody else could look more like Lincoln. I suppose I was wrong. Should have never doubted you, Daniel.
* With a cast including (to name only a few) Day Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Jackie Earle Haley, John Hawkes, James Spader, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, with Spielberg directing, if Lincoln does not win a table full of Oscars I think it will be labeled a failure.
* That being said, I have no doubt it will win at least four. Not sure which four though.
* That is, unless Spielberg – in typical Spielberg fashion – decides to have Lincoln live in the end. I am kidding of course.
* Something I did notice while perusing the cast of Lincoln… nobody has John Wilkes Booth out next to their name. Michael Stuhlbarg from A Serious Man and Boardwalk Empire has no character title yet; I could see him in that role.