* This year’s Best Picture Oscar seems more up in the air than ever. I don’t have a frontrunner in mind, or even a top two. Perhaps when the nominees come out, I will have a better idea.
* I think Elisabeth Shue is a good actress. But I don’t know.
* I don’t understand either the point or the marketing strategy behind this Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah movie, Joyful Noise. What is the point of a film like this? And if the advertising is going to be so scant and brief, I really don’t get the purpose in releasing the movie.
* There seem to be a large amount of action/adventure pictures coming out in January. There is Soderbergh’s Haywire, Mark Wahlberg’s Contraband, and Liam Neeson in The Grey. Is this an attempt to recapture the success of Taken a few years back?
* The Grey looks exciting for sure, but I don’t know about those wolves after Neeson’s character. They seem very human in their anger. Sounds weird, I know, but still… Something seems off about the way they go after him.
* Which begs the question… Does Liam Neeson have a stipulation in his contract that he has to star in an action vehicle sometime within the first two months of every year?
* Twitter was abuzz last night about The Devil Inside, the new “found footage” horror film about an illegal exorcism. Crowds all around the country greeted the end of the film with a chorus of boos. I am officially no longer putting faith in January horror films.