* Brian DePalma: Genius, Hack, or a Little of Both? My new article over at whatculture.com
* The more time that passes, the more I realize that The Game is David Fincher's best film. There's a reason it is getting the Criterion treatment first:
* This Robocop remake will be failed. I'm convinced. I don't have many reasons to back my theory other than the fact that Verhoeven remakes aren't getting off to the best start (Total Recall). Take the humor out of Verhoeven, and you're left with a soulless film.
* We are entering the dark period of September for films, but this year we can call it the dark period of early September. Look, right there on September 14th, it's The Master.
* I think studios are realizing September shouldn't be simply loaded with garbage. It's a good time to cleanse our palette from the summer garbage.
* I don't know what to make of Lawless. I had the highest of hopes for John Hillcoat after The Proposition, and after he gave his best effort with the unfilmable adaptation of The Road. But Lawless feels - it oozes - generic. Maybe I am wrong. I'd like to be.
* T-shirt of the week: